Injured? Dial #WIN or #946 from your cellphone for your free consultation or call 1-800-LAW-NEED.
Call Us 24/7
1-800-LAW-NEED
( 1-800-529-6333 )

E-Cigarette Battery Believed to be Cause of House Fire in Illinois


May 28, 2019

MCHENRY, IL. – According to an online news report posted at nwherald.com, an e-cigarette battery is believed to have been the cause of a house fire in McHenry, Illinois. Fire investigators believe the battery overheated and set fire to a mattress in a residence. The homeowner sustained injuries in the fire, according to the report.*

The fire occurred at a residence located in the 2900 block of Arbor Drive in McHenry. Firefighters with the McHenry Township Fire Protection District were called to the home for a potential structural fire but did not see smoke outside the home when they arrived. Firefighters then entered the home and found that a mattress had been on fire. 

The mattress was located in a bedroom upstairs, and the homeowner had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Battalion Chief Mike Majercik and the Northwest Herald reported that the homeowner sustained burn injuries to his hand, and emergency responders took him to Northwestern Hospital for treatment. No firefighters were injured, Majercik said.

Fire officials reported that no structural damage to the home had occurred, though smoke damage did occur. Firefighters helped to remove smoke from the bedroom and estimated that the damage in the home would amount to about $1,000. 

During investigation, officials developed reason to believe the fire was accidental and had started due to an overheated e-cigarette battery. Firefighters reportedly found the battery in the room. They did not elaborate on how the battery might have overheated or how the fire started. The brand of the battery was not reported. 

Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes.  To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.

Source:https://www.nwherald.com/2019/05/23/mchenry-house-fire-reportedly-caused-by-electronic-cigarette/ajt55bs/

* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.

Category: Accident News

Please Note:
Many of our blog articles discuss the law. All information provided about the law is very general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Every situation is different, and should be analyzed by a lawyer who can provide individualized advice based on the facts involved in your unique situation, and a consideration of all of the nuances of the statutes and case law that apply at the time.