Residents Concerned About Crosswalk Safety Following E-Scooter Accident
ATLANTA, GA – According to an online news report at cbs46.com, Atlanta’s West Lake area residents raise concerns about the safety of the area following a fatal e-scooter accident.*
People who live in the West Lake area note that it is a hazardous place for scooter riders as well as pedestrians. In the West Lake community there is a MARTA station where a fading crosswalk is located. The fact that the paint is fading is causing difficulties for drivers to see it, leaving bicyclists, pedestrians, and e-scooter riders at risk for an accident.
The community’s concerns come after the death of a twenty year old e-scooter rider, who has been exiting the MARTA station when he was struck by a sports utility vehicle. Charges have not been filed against the sports utility vehicle driver.
The e-scooter movement has taken off in Atlanta. With that comes the risk of accidents. Due to increasing numbers of e-scooter accidents, local hospitals have been treating injuries, which recently appears to be increasing. There are several common causes of e-scooter accidents, which are as follows:
- E-scooter malfunctions. Everything from faulty brakes to battery issues have caused a number of e-scooter accidents.
- Sidewalk driving. In Atlanta, riding an e-scooter on sidewalks is illegal, however, some individuals completely ignore the law. Riding on a sidewalk can lead to crashes, including with pedestrians.
- Failing to abide by traffic laws. E-scooter riders are required, just like bicyclists, to follow all of the traffic laws. When they fail to do so, it could cause serious accidents with passenger vehicles.
- Rider inexperience. Getting onto a scooter without having knowledge as to safely ride it is extremely hazardous and could put you in great danger of having an accident.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.