Deadly Motorcycle Accident Occurs in Athens, Georgia
ATHENS, GA – According to an online news report from wgauradio.com, the Georgia State Patrol is currently conducting an investigation of a fatal motorcycle accident that occurred in Athens, Georgia.*
The accident occurred at the intersection of Pulaski and Clayton. The victim is a fifty three year old man from Watkinsville, Georgia. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by local police.
While motorcycle accidents are sometimes inevitable, there are ways in which they can be avoided. Knowing how they are typically caused can help you to take steps necessary to prevent being involved in a motorcycle accident in Georgia. Accordingly, there several underlying causes of motorcycle accidents, which are as follows:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of vehicular accidents in Georgia and across the United States. Whether it is a driver of a vehicle or a motorcyclist, distracted driving, which comes in the form of texting, talking on a cellphone, eating, etc., can be deadly.
- Alcohol consumption. Alcohol is one of the main causes of motorcycle accidents in Georgia. According to nationwide statistics, there are, on average, a greater number of motorcyclists who ride while intoxicated than those who operate passenger vehicles.
- Motorist negligence. According to nationwide studies, the majority of multi-vehicle accidents involving motorcycles are due to the fault of the passenger vehicle. Per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 38 percent of multi-vehicular motorcycle accidents occurred when the passenger vehicle was turning left while the motorcycle was heading straight. Included in this percentage are accidents that occur due to passing or overtaking a vehicle. In these instances, it may be hard for the driver to see motorcyclists, resulting in serious and sometimes fatal accidents.
- Speeding. According to the NHTSA, an average of thirty five percent of motorcyclists involved in a fatal accident are speeding. This is compared to twenty two percent of passenger vehicle accidents that occur due to going at an excess rate of speed.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.