Logging Truck Accident Occurs on West Bay Street in Savannah, Georgia
SAVANNAH, GA – According to an online news report at wtoc.com, a logging truck accident occurred on West Bay Street in Savannah, Georgia.*
Due to the accident, the westerly lanes of West Bay Street were closed.
As a result of the impact of the accident, a vehicle flipped over after slamming into the logging truck. There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the Savannah Police Department.
This article brings to mind the many causes of logging accidents, which are as follows:
- Lack of driver qualifications. Loggers are exempt from certain driver qualification requirements under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. This means that they may be less qualified than other, more experienced truckers on the roadways.
- Poor maintenance. Log trucks and trailers are typically old equipment that had a prior use before it became used for logging activities. Logging trucks also take a significant amount of wear and tear by the very nature of logging activities. As a result, logging trucks are sometimes in marginal condition, which can lead to serious accidents.
- Overloading. Overloading is common given that logging companies typically deliver logs to paper and mill companies when it is dark out. Also, loggers are very often operating their logging truck on country roads, which makes it less likely that authorities will be in the vicinity to address the overloaded truck.
- Poor lighting. Logging trucks must have amber lights that flash on the end of a load that is visible from five hundred feet in every direction. They must also have tail lights and side reflectors that are visible from five hundred feet. Sometimes these lamps fail and may also be covered in dirt and mud, making the truck less visible to others on the roadway.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.