Train Accident in Valdosta Leaves One Woman Dead in Valdosta, Georgia
VALDOSTA, GEORGIA – As reported online by valdostatoday.com, a woman in her mid-twenties sustained fatal injuries from being struck by a moving train on Gornto Road.*
At around 10:30 p.m. a pedestrian in her mid-twenties was allegedly struck by a moving train near the 1400 block of Gornto Road in Valdosta. According to local police, the woman’s injuries were severe and tragically fatal. No additional information, including the woman’s identity, is available at this time.
The Dangers of Train Accidents
The sheer force of a train is no match for a vehicle, let alone a person walking on foot. The tragic Valdosta train accident involving a young woman reminds us that crossing the path of a train, whether by vehicle or on foot, is dangerous and sometimes deadly. As such, when passing across train tracks, it is important to consider basic safety guidelines that are often overlooked. Such guidelines include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Always look both ways before crossing train tracks;
- Adhere to train/traffic signals (i.e., if a barrier is blocking the train tracks, wait for the train to pass and the barrier to be lifted before crossing);·Do not walk across train tracks at night;
- Do not assume a train will come to a stop when approaching a vehicle or pedestrian;
- Avoid crossing train tracks if safer routes are available;
- Never walk on or along train tracks; and
- Never try to beat a train.
Trains cannot come to a complete stop in a short period of time. Many trains require as much as one mile to stop completely. Therefore, adhering to basic safety guidelines is essential to preventing needless and horrific accidents, many of which can result in death.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.