Interstate 85 Closed for Several Hours After a Collision Between a Pickup Truck and an 18-wheeler
OCONEE COUNTY, SC – According to an online news report at wyff4.com, an accident between a pickup truck and a tractor trailer occurred on Interstate 85 that caused a blockage of traffic during the early morning hours of Tuesday, April 30, 2019.*
An accident between a tractor trailer and a pickup truck caused traffic to be blocked for several hours on Interstate 85 at mile marker 3 close to the Georgia border and the Fairplay exit. The accident occurred right before 5:30 a.m., per the South Carolina Highway Patrol. The highway opened up once again right before 9:00 a.m., however, another accident in the northerly lanes resulted in slow traffic in the area. Pictures of the accident show debris spread across both lanes of the interstate. It further demonstrates that a pickup truck and an 18-wheeler were involved in the crash. The accident caused traffic to be backed up for at a minimum of three miles.
No further details are available on the crash. The accident remains under investigation at this time.
While most truck drivers are highly trained and careful drivers, a select few cause accidents that result in serious injuries and sometimes even death. The most common reasons for trucking accidents are as follows:
- Fatigued driving
- Cargo loads that cause the truck to be overweight
- Driver distractions due to eating, playing with the radio, talking on a cellphone and text messaging
- Lack of driver training and inexperience
- Driving recklessly
- Truck malfunctions and a lack of regular maintenance
- Hazardous substances that become spilled
- Drug and/or alcohol consumption
- Congestion of traffic on roadways that cannot handle high traffic volumes
Irrespective of the reason why truck accidents happen, they can result in serious and sometimes deadly injuries. Because they are often catastrophic and result in disabling injuries, the costs associated with medical treatment, rehabilitation services and a potential lifetime of medical care can be very high. That is why it is important to contact an experienced trucking accident lawyer to learn more about your legal rights and options. You may be entitled to substantial compensation.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.