Twiggs County Tractor Trailer Accident Leads to Closure of Lanes on I-16
TWIGGS COUNTY, GA – An online news report published by WGXA indicates that an early morning tractor trailer accident has resulted in the closer of lanes on I-16.*
The Georgia State Patrol (GSP) is investigating an early morning collision involving two tractor trailers that resulted in lane closures on I-16. Early reports indicate that one of the tractor trailer drivers rear-ended the other, sending both of the drivers to the hospital. However, the injuries sustained by both drivers are not life-threatening. Lanes on I-16 were expected to reopen within a few hours of the accident.
The cause of this tractor trailer accident is unknown, and authorities can only speculate as to why one tractor trailer slammed into the back of another. Possible contributing factors may include, among others, the following:
- Distracted driving (i.e., texting or talking on the phone);
- Brake failure;
- Tire failure;
- Low visibility;
- Faulty brake lights (i.e., if the tractor trailer that was struck did not have functioning brake lights, making it difficult for the other driver to know when to stop);
- Drowsy driving/falling asleep at the wheel; and
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
All of these potential causes are common factors that investigators consider when evaluating tractor trailer accidents. Because tractor trailer drivers must have a specialized license and training, additoinal factors, such as how long they have been driving before an accident and whether they have had enough sleep, are key to determining the cause(s) of a particular accident.
At this time, no charges have been filed, but the investigation is still in the early stages. If either or both drivers were negligent in any way, charges or citations might be forthcoming, but there is no indication yet that one or both drivers are at fault for the resulting accident on I-16.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help drivers better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.