Whiplash-related Temporomandibular Joint TMJ Injury Claims After a Motor Vehicle Accident
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is one area of the body that can sustain injury during a vehicle accident. One of the most common ways TMJ injuries occur during a car crash is through whiplash.
Whiplash is one of the most common conditions that can result in TMJ injuries, including temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and TMJ dysfunction. Most people think of whiplash as affecting the neck and spine, but it can also cause TMJ injury. Whiplash is a violent motion of the head from backward to forward that can lead to many problems.
Side effects of whiplash include:
- Vertebral disc stretching
- Muscle strain in the neck, face, back, and head
- Stretch and strain of ligaments in the neck, face, back, and head
- Nerve injury, blood vessel injury, and soft tissue injury
During whiplash, while the jaw is not the area of direct impact, the movement of the head, face, and neck during whiplash can cause injury to the TMJ. The jaw is usually forced open during the forceful movement of whiplash, then the jaw suddenly closes again as the person’s head moves forward.
The muscles connected to the TMJ can undergo strain during whiplash that causes tearing and other soft tissue damage. Even if the car accident occurred at a lower rate of travel, a person can still experience whiplash and resulting TMJ injury. While the person might feel the effects of whiplash in their neck or back right after the accident, the TMJ injury symptoms can appear later. If you have been injured in any type of accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Montlick & Associates today. Our experienced attorneys will examine the facts and circumstances of what happened and advise you on your legal rights as well as what steps can be taken to protect those rights.
Put Our Law Firm's Over 35 Years Of Legal Experience To Work For Your Case!
If you have been injured in any type of accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law for your free consultation today. Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law has been representing those who suffer serious injuries throughout the Southeast for over 35 years, including but not limited to all smaller cities and rural areas.
No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you. Call us 24 hours day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour live chat.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.