Georgia DOT Suspending Interstate Construction Lane Closures for Labor Day
GEORGIA – August 29, 2018 (allongeorgia.com) According to a report from allongeorgia.com, the Georgia Department of Transportation is suspending construction-related lane closures on interstates on July 4.*
The suspension, which will be in effect from noon Friday, August 31, to 5 a.m. Tuesday, September 4, will hopefully allow holiday travelers to use the state’s interstate systems with less congestion, the DOT says. Lane closures might still be in place, but will be limited, on major state routes that serve key tourist and recreation centers.
“We understand a lot of people are hitting the road for the Labor Day holiday, and we would like to make it a little easier for them to go through northwest Georgia,” said Grant Waldrop, DOT assistant district engineer in the Cartersville, Georgia, office. “We usually see an increase in roadway fatalities during heavy travel holidays. We cannot overemphasize the need to slow down, drive alert, and take every precaution to protect yourself and your passengers.”
Despite lanes being opened back up during this time, construction workers could still be on job sites, working along the side of interstates. For this reason, the DOT reminds drivers to continue to be diligent in looking out for construction zones. In addition, lane closures could reoccur or originate on any interstate that needs emergency maintenance or that becomes the site of a vehicle collision.
The DOT gives the following holiday travel advice to Georgians:
- In the event of an accident, do not get out and stand on the freeway.
- Pull off of the roadway after an accident if it is possible and safe to do so.
- Turn on your hazard lights following an accident, and stay in the vehicle with the doors locked.
- Remember that Georgia’s new Hands-Free Law is in effect.
- Call 511 for assistance or information about Georgia’s state routes and interstates.
Accident News is a driver safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help drivers better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com -click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your a free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law
17 Executive Park Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Telephone: 1 (800) LAW-NEED
Telephone: 1 (404) 529-6333
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.