Motorcycle Crash Occurs on Interstate 565; Impaired Driving Suspected
HUNTSVILLE, AL – June 2, 2018 (wtvm.com). According to an online news report at wtvm.com, a crash on Interstate 565 injures a motorcyclist; impaired driving suspected as cause of the accident.*
A motorcyclist is injured on Saturday, June 2, 2018, the accident of which caused severe traffic delays, as the eastbound lanes were closed for a number of hours while crews worked to clear the scene. Per the Huntsville police, a driver of a van was headed the wrong way on the interstate, causing the driver to plow into oncoming traffic. As noted in the news report, “he was going west in eastbound lanes around the Highway 72 area and before officers could stop the van, he collided with a motorcycle around Jordan Lane.”
According to the Huntsville police, "impaired driving was a factor in this crash. The only injury is to the motorcyclist and at this time does not appear to be life threatening.”
By approximately 10:00 p.m., all lanes were back open to traffic.
It is believed that impaired driving was a factor in causing the accident. The driver of the van was arrested and may be charged with a DUI.
This accident is a stark reminder to motorcyclists to drive as safely as possible. Accordingly, the following are safety tips for motorcyclists:
- Wear protective clothing. This should include wearing leather clothes, shoes with non-skid soles and gloves, if possible. This tip also includes wearing reflective tape so others can see you, especially at night.
- Wear a helmet. This is a no brainer, as helmets save lives. Not wearing a helmet during an accident can lead to traumatic brain injuries and even death.
- Follow traffic rules. Always go the speed limit and do not weave in and out of lanes. Be sure if you are riding with others to drive in single file.
- Drive as defensively as possible. Assume others cannot see you while riding. According to geico.com, nearly two thirds of all motorcycle accidents are caused by a driver violating a motorcyclist’s right of way. Also be sure to signal drivers as to your intended direction. Furthermore, always watch for vehicles that are turning.
- Ride sober and awake. Do not drink and ride your bike, as riding while impaired can lead to serious injuries and even death. Moreover, driving while fatigued can also lead to serious consequences.
- Maintain your bike. Be sure to always keep your bike in good repair, which includes checking the integrity of your signals, tires and fluid levels.
Accident News is an archive of select Georgia car crashes, designed to alert and educate drivers, to help them avoid the most common causes of motor vehicle crashes. If you or a family member are injured in an accident, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com. For more information about Montlick & Associates’ award-winning public service programs click here.
Montlick & Associates, Attorneys at Law
17 Executive Park Dr NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Telephone: 1 (800) LAW-NEED
Telephone: 1 (404) 529-6333
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.