Worker Tragically Electrocuted in Industrial Accident in Galax, Virginia
According to an online news report published on wdbj7.com, a 23-year-old man from Ararat was accidentally electrocuted in a fatal industrial accident on Tuesday.*
According to Galax Police, the man was tragically pronounced dead after being transported to a local area hospital. The victim was operating a delivery truck when the fatal accident occurred. The man worked for Performance Livestock and Feed store in North Carolina.
The incident occurred on the afternoon of December 1, 2020, at the Southern States – Galax Cooperative located on Meadow Street in Galax, Virginia. Emergency personnel found the victim lying beside a bulk feed truck. The bulk feed truck's shaft moves feed from the bulk feed truck to a separate container. A part of the truck was touching a high voltage power line that was carrying approximately 69,000 volts.
According to police, the first responders ascertained that the victim was not touching the bulk feed truck when they discovered him and moved the victim away from the truck to initiate CPR. The victim was then transported to a local area hospital and was tragically pronounced dead.
The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry, Galax Police, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner are coordinating efforts to determine the accident's cause.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com-click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or a family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.