Deadly Accident Occurs at Intersection in Albany, Victim Identified
ALBANY, GA – According to an online news report at walb.com, the victim of a fatal accident that occurred close to the intersection of Madison Street and Oglethorpe Boulevard has been identified by the county coroner. The man who tragically died in the accident is a 92-year-old male.*
Police indicate that several automobiles were involved in the accident, however, the article does not report as to the details of what caused the crash. The accident caused the blockage of several intersections, which are as follows:
- Oglethorpe Boulevard and Monroe Street
- Davis Street and Oglethorpe Boulevard
- Broad Avenue and Madison Street
There are no further details on the accident at this time. The crash remains under investigation by the local police.
According to a study conducted by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), turning left or right at an intersection as well as crossing over results in millions of accidents per year. The NHTSA’s report indicates that about 96% of accidents that occur at intersections are the result of driver error. The most common driver errors that occur at intersections are as follows:
- Driver inattention
- Illegal maneuvers, such as running a red light or stop sign
- Falsely assuming the direction of a driver
- Turning left or right with a view that is obstructed
- Distracted driving
- Misjudging a gap in traffic
- Misjudging another vehicle’s speed.
- False assumption of other driver’s action
- Poor visibility due to inclement weather or during the nighttime hours
- An obstructed view
Most accidents at intersections are caused by driver inattention or illegal maneuvers, per the NHTSA. In a left-turn crash at an intersection, the most common causes of these accidents include an obstructed view, a gap between vehicles, and a misjudgment of the other vehicle’s speed.
In right-hand turns at an intersection, the most common cause of accidents in this regard is when drivers wrongfully assume what another motorist is about to do.
Accident News is a safety and education initiative from Montlick & Associates, designed to help people better understand and thereby avoid common accident causes. To learn more about our injury prevention programs, including iridesafe.com - click here. We hope you are never in an accident, but if you or family member are injured, call Montlick & Associates 24/7 for your free consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333) or use our live chat at Montlick.com.
* This blog is intended to provide the public with news concerning serious automobile accidents and related stories. Although we are receiving this information from news organizations, initial reports may be different from conclusions reached by law enforcement personnel and other organizations, upon further investigation. Therefore, the accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. The information published here is based on information that has already been reported by a news organization, or other sources, and we cannot and do not assume responsibility for its accuracy. The source that we utilized at the time is provided above. If this posting pertains to you or your family and you do not wish for it to be on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to remove it, but when doing so, please include a link to the the article that you wish to be taken down.