According to the most recent published data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly 33,000 Americans were killed and approximately 2.2 million people were injured in motor vehicle accidents in 2010. Although there are fluctuations from year-to-year, the fact is that millions of people are injured or killed in car accidents every year. Everyone has heard at least some of the statistics about car accidents, yet when it happens to you, it is still a shock. Whether you were involved in a motor vehicle accident caused by a medical emergency, texting and driving, speeding, driving under the influence, or other factors, if you were injured you now face a situation where you need a lawyer who is experienced in handling motor vehicle accident cases. The lawyer you choose will influence or determine the outcome of the case. Selecting the wrong attorney may lead to a loss of rights and compensation to cover your expenses and loss.
Here are a few things to consider when deciding on an attorney:
- Do you feel comfortable working with this person? This may seem a little simplistic, but the fact is that the lawyer you select will be your representative, telling your story and achieving the best result possible. He or she will be advocating on your behalf. Did the lawyer take the time to explain everything to you in clear and understandable terms, or did he speak “legalese” without any effort to help you understand the process? If your first impression is that you are not at ease with him or her then find another lawyer.
- How long has the law firm been in existence and how long has the attorney been practicing law? Providing legal services is one of those fields where, depending on the particular situation or case, extensive experience can really matter. You need to ask about the law firm and the lawyer’s practice experience to be certain that he or she has the skills and knowledge to represent your interests. And if a less experienced attorney will be involved in your case what aspects will they be handling and will a more experienced attorney be involved at critical junctures. You also need to determine what type of support team he has. An attorney must have the time and resources to devote to your case in order to protect your rights.
- Does the attorney devote most of their practice to handling automobile accidents? There are many different fields of law. Finding an attorney who has knowledge and skills in representing someone who has been involved in an automobile accident is critical. He or she should be familiar with the laws and regulations, as well as how the legal process works, the likelihood of reaching an out-of-court settlement, and the tactics employed by the other side.
- Do you agree with how the attorney wants to manage the case? Although you may not be an attorney, you have instincts about how to represent your interests in preparing the case for trial and possible out-of-court negotiations settlement. Are the ideas of the lawyer in agreement with your thoughts? Does the lawyer listen to your ideas, or does he or she dismiss them without review and analysis or explanation? These are important considerations because a lawyer who does not take your wishes and thoughts under advisement may not be the best person to advocate on your behalf.
- What are your responsibilities in the case? The attorney should have explained what information you would need to collect and provide, how much time you would need to commit to the process, and what other contributions you would need to make towards the pursuit of the case. If you walk away from an initial consultation without this knowledge, you should consider meeting with a different attorney.
- Was the attorney clear in explaining the fee structure for your case? Before you enter into any binding agreements with an attorney, be sure that you understand the fees, expenses, and payment requirements. Be sure that you know what your payment obligations will be.
Choosing the right attorney will make a stressful process much easier to manage. If you keep these general ideas in mind when consulting with a possible attorney, they should help you find one who will work hard to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Why Call Montlick & Associates For Your Free Consultation
The Georgia car accident attorneys at Montlick and Associates are available to provide effective legal representation to victims of motorcycle accidents throughout all of Georgia and the Southeast. No matter where you are located our attorneys are just a phone call away, and we will even come to you.
For over 39 years, the experienced Personal Injury Lawyers from Montlick & Associates have been helping families in Georgia and throughout the Southeast. In addition to its goal of being the best personal injury law firm in Georgia, Montlick & Associates is also dedicated to giving back to the community through the firm’s extensive public service programs, which have received extensive public recognition.
Call us 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your Free Consultation at 1-800-LAW-NEED (1-800-529-6333). You can also visit us online at www.montlick.com and use our Free Case Evaluation Form or 24-hour Live Online Chat.